Are you confused or skeptical if you should be wearing a moisturizer acne prone skin product? After all, it hardly seems right to cover skin, especially that is oily, with a lotion. Well, as bizarre as it may sound, it actually does make a lot of sense. The most important thing to understand is that your skin needs moisture, acne or not and contrary to popular belief, oily skin does not cause acne.
Best Acne Moisturizer in 2018
It is a common misconception that acne is caused by oil so individuals with this condition automatically assume that they should not moisturize acne skin because they are scared of adding more oil and worsening the problem. The truth is, most moisturizers contain no oil, only the nutrients that your skin needs to combat weather, pollution and other elements. They make an abundance of oil-free moisturizers such as Aveeno Clean Complexion Moisturizer that is specifically designed to not add any oil to your skin.
Now, the reason people assume that oil causes acne is because the buildup through the day of oil, dust and dead skin can clog pores and cause breakouts. However, most people think that if they excessively wash their face and skip the moisturizer acne skin products, their face will dry up a bit. The problem is that the more you strip your face of these essential oils, the more oil your face will feel that it needs to make to compensate for the loss. This makes your skin even oilier, resulting in more breakouts.
It is astonishing how many acne patients go to a dermatologist and admit that they wear no moisturizer and actually feel as though they have been doing the right thing. Dermatologists will tell you that the label has to say either oil-free or non-comedogenic. A top-rated oil free product is On a Clear Day by Philosophy. Moderately priced at $23, the product is silicone-based to help lock essential moisture into troubled skin. Philosophy’s On a Clear Day moisturizer defends against environmental irritants while promoting skin clarity.
When you apply moisturizer, you always want to apply your acne medication first. You will wash your face gently, apply your acne medication and allow it to dry completely. Then you can put on your moisturizer and follow with any makeup you are wearing for the day.
Tips to Keep Your Skin Hydrated
- Drink a lot of water. There is nothing better for your skin than H2O as it hydrates your skin from the inside out.
Always choose a product that is fragrance-free. Fragrances, no matter how mild, have a way of irritating skin which causes more acne. A good choice is Amore Pacific Oil-Free Moisture Bound Hydra Gel.
- Take the time to rub the moisturizer between your fingers and observe the texture. If it is greasy, gummy, heavy, sticky or super slick, it is probably not recommended for your skin.
- Use one multifunctional product such as one that contains an SPF and tinting so you can skip the acne foundation and extra products. Stila Tinted Moisturizer Sheer Colors SPF 15 is a fabulous product. Application is super easy, long-lasting, provides protection and just enough coverage for daily wear. Stila Tinted Moisturizer Sheer Color SPF 15 is $34 and comes in 9 shades with both golden and neutral underlying tones for a perfect match.
- Don’t go overboard cleaning your face or you will dry it out which results in skin irritation and flaking in addition to accelerated oil production. Never use a product that leaves your face feeling parched.
- Do apply a quality acne moisturizer product as needed. Use your best judgment, if you are dealing with humid weather, you may not need to apply as much or as often as if you are in a climate with cold windy temperatures.