If you’re a teen suffering from acne and looking for the best acne treatment for teens, in this post, you will find the best products for teenage acne including some tips to cure acne in teenage boys and girls.
Remember that time during your puberty when you feel so embarrassed to go outside due to the severe acne on your face? If you do, then there is a great chance that your kids will experience the same dilemma in their teenage years.
As a parent with awareness of such possibility, you want to ensure that your kids won’t go through the same. Of course, there is a way to prevent that. You only have to start by teaching them proper skin care early on and explore the available best acne treatments for teens.
Adolescence is a sensitive time in the life of a young adult. The awkwardness and embarrassment that naturally plagues young people can be further intensified by the onset of teen acne. Every individual is unique and so different teenagers have varying degrees of severity with their acne.
Those that suffer from extreme forms of acne can very quickly begin to feel desperate. The adolescent years are a time of sexual awakening and awareness of the opposite sex. It is a time of life when physical appearance means everything. Acne can definitely put a damper on the social life of any teenager that suffers from it.
- 85% of adolescents suffer from acne
- Acne can lead to scarring
- Zit can negatively affect self-esteem
- Pimple does not just affect teens physically but also emotionally and psychologically
What Causes Acne in Teens?
All acne is caused by a hormonal imbalance. Therefore, to begin to treat your pimple, whether it is on your back, body or chest, we have to attack the root cause of the problem.
The fact of the matter is that when your hormones are not in balance, your skin is unable to do its job properly. It is also important to keep in mind that imbalances of hormone can happen during the teenage years or during adulthood.
Much intake of fatty foods like French fries, pizza, burgher, chocolate, etc. increases the secretion of oil from sebaceous glands. In some cases, stress does not cause acne but aggravates the problem by increasing sebum production.
How Can Hormones Affect Acne?
Every pore on your body has a gland that is tasked with pushing dirt, oil, and bacteria to the surface and out of your skin. If your hormones are off-kilter, your glands will produce too much oil. This can lead to blocked pores, which creates a build-up of oil just below the surface of the skin.
This environment is ripe for oil and bacteria to create an infection. Pimples are then formed due to this infection. Whether you suffer from acne on your back, face or shoulder, the very same process as described above is taking place below the skin. And since it is happening below the skin, you can quickly see how scrubbing and picking at your pimples will never make them go away.
Some Forms of Teenage Acne Treatment
There are all sorts of ways to improve the condition of your skin. Acne fighting products come in a variety of forms including exfoliators, cream washes, topical treatments and medication. A lot of the time it is a personal preference what you choose, but there are some differences too. Here’s a quick summary of your options:
For most people, medication should be the last resort when it comes to curing acne. People with severe acne sometimes can’t fix it with simple face washes and treatments, so they meet with a dermatologist who can prescribe them medication – most commonly RoAccutane. However, the treatments often have quite severe side effects, which for many people are worse than the zit itself. Side effects include nausea, dry skin, tiredness and muscle aches. It also can not be taken if you are pregnant or considering pregnancy. Because of this, it should really only be a last resort.
Topical treatments include products that contain high levels of active ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. They are only intended to be used very occasionally and on small areas of skin. If you have acne covering large parts of the face or back, you should be careful not to overuse these treatments as they can cause severe dryness and inflammation. They are a great choice for getting rid of the occasional pesky pimple though.
And that brings us to face washes – what my site is all about! Face washes have been used by acne sufferers for years as an easy and effective solution to skin concerns. There are literally hundreds of them on the market, many of which are very good – others, not so much.
Unfortunately, what works for your friend might not work for you. You need to find a face wash that suits your skin. If you have oily skin, you’ll want to look for a face wash that is oil-free, while those with dry skin want to avoid sulphur and benzoyl peroxide ingredients. Let’s take a closer look at the types of ingredients in acne face washes.
Some Teen Acne Treatment Options
- Over-The-Counter Treatment
Every acne product claims to have the cure for your skin. The truth is that drugstore acne products can be extremely harsh on the skin. Furthermore, the changes that seem to take place are superficial. They do not get to the root of the problem so as soon as you stop using them the spots return.
Prescription treatments tend to work better than over-the-counter treatments however they have many potential side-effects that can only be described as negative. They contain ingredients that can damage and irritate the skin, damage the liver, cause nausea, skin burns and cause many other scary side-effects.
Laser acne treatment is a less-common treatment for adolescent acne. This is a treatment that works for some but not for others. It is an expensive treatment and many people are not willing to pay out with no guarantee that the treatment will work. Furthermore, some people have complained that laser treatment has burned or scarred their skin.
Many are unaware that there are natural ways to cure teenager’s acne. Yes, natural solutions! A solution that does not involve harsh chemicals but that is gentle on the skin and that truly reaches the heart of your acne.
Top Acne Treatment Products for Teens of 2018/2019
To identify the best acne clearing products for teens, we reviewed the top 8 products currently on the market. Our tests involved 30 test subjects. Our testers were given two products to test. Results were measured through any reduction in blemishes over a two-month period. Below are the best-performing products of the 8 that we reviewed.
What is Exposed Skincare ?
Exposed is yet another revolutionary acne treatment system that is manufactured by Exposed Skincare. Exposed Skin Care has been developed by a professional group of dermatologists, cosmetologists, naturopaths and chemists. By harnessing the knowledge of these skin care experts, Expose claims that it is the best acne medication system in the market that not only puts an end to the irritating acne problems, but also keeps future acne outbreaks at bay. It can also even skin tone and diminish existing acne scars.
Why Exposed ?
Unlike other acne medication system, the Exposed System doesn’t include any edible supplement. Exposed Skin Care combines scientific and natural ingredients to help you fight against acne problems.
The Exposed Trial Kit is composed of the Facial Cleanser, the Clearing Tonic, the Acne Treatment Serum and the Clear Pore Serum. Each product has its individual task in ensuring that your skin become clear and blemish-free.
The Facial Cleanser gently detoxifies and cleans your skin. Its main ingredients are Sage Extract, Pro-Vitamin B5 and Salicylic Acid. The Clearing Tonic restores ideal PH balance, exfoliates your skin and protects skin cells from damage. It contains anti-oxidants such as Green Tea extract, Passion Flower, Aloe Vera etc.
The Acne Serum annihilates bacterias and stops new formation of blemishes. The Serum is made up primarily of Micro-Encapsulated BP and Azelaic Acid. The last product in the Exposed System is the Clear Pore Serum which contains Hydroxy Complex, Licorice Root etc. which help eliminate black-/whiteheads and rejuvenate your skin.
If you choose to try the Exposed Expanded Kit, you will also get the Microderm Scrub and Derm-X cloth which help reduce existing acne scars.
How to use the Exposed System
All acne skin care products in the Exposed System can be used daily. However it is suggested that the Clear Pore Serum should be at night for better results. Just wash your skin with the Facial Cleanser and tone it with the Clearing Tonic in the morning and at night. After that apply the Serum on the affected areas in the morning or the Clear Pore Serum at night.
- Works great on skin of all ages and can be used to treat acne problems in teens and adults.
- Helps reduce acne scars.
- Utilizes both scientific and natural additives to cure acne.
- Free goodies such as the Clarifying Mask and the Derm-X cloth.
- One year money-back guarantee and $25 free credit on your next Exposed Kit.
- Doesn’t include any edible supplement which helps cleanse impurities in the body.
- Acne might tend to flair up a bit for the first week before it gets better.
- Takes 2 – 5 weeks on average to achieve great results.
With the Clear Skin In 30 Days and one year money-back double guarantee, you really have nothing to lose in trying out the Exposed System. It is a great acne solution and offers very good value for your money. Every product in the system is scientifically proven to help treat acne problems. There is no doubt that Exposed belongs to the elite acne skincare products in the industry.
Exploring The Best Teenage Acne Treatments
There is a range of acne treatment options for teens. They are available in two categories: medications that require prescription and over-the-counter products, and herbal or natural remedies.
Plant-based remedies are available for use as an acne medicine. Although studies show that the effectiveness of these remedies is limited, they still help in treating acne in certain ways. There are remedies that act as antiseptics, antioxidants, anti-inflammation and exfoliating agents. Some examples are the following:
- Aloe Vera Gel – has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps heal the skin. An ideal herbal remedy for acute or inflamed acne.
- Licorice Root Extract – acts as an antibacterial, and is especially beneficial in treating a whitehead or popped pustule.
- Lemon Juice Extract – helps in 3 ways: it kills bacteria, removes oil from pores and lightens acne scars and older blemishes.
- Apple Cider Vinegar and Water – balances the pH level of the skin and prevents the propagation of acne-causing bacteria.
- Tea Tree Oil Extract – acts as a natural antiseptic and antibiotic. Applying the extract on the skin for 3 times a day reduces the appearance and size of blemishes.
- Honey – It has enzymes that help rejuvenate skin and also work as an antimicrobial agent. Applying a thin layer of honey regularly helps remove grime and dirt from pores that often trigger acne.
Over-the-counter medications are only suitable for mild breakouts while prescription medications are for serious acne cases. The latter option is also suitable in case noticeable improvements are not seen even after 10-12 weeks use of OTC medications. Prescription medications are also in two types – the topical and oral medications.
Below are some examples of the most common medications used for teenage acne treatment. To guarantee your child’s safety, consult a doctor first before using any of the medications.
Benzoyl Peroxide (Over-the-Counter)
This medication helps kill bacteria that cause acne to get worse. It also helps in healing pimples and clearing oil ducts. However, improvements only occur if you apply the lotion or gel with 5 percentage benzoyl peroxide for 4-6 weeks. Let your child use the product once a day for one week. You can then let him use it twice a day. If improvements don’t occur after 6 weeks, you may purchase a product that contains 10% of the ingredient.
Retin-A (OTC & Prescription Medication)
It takes 2-3 months to notice improvements when using this treatment. Only use Retin-A at night because it increases the skin’s sensitivity to the sun. Effectiveness and results also depend on the frequency of use and adherence to the doctor’s instructions. Also, expect that your child’s acne may get worse first before it eventually gets better. That is why constant use of Retin-A is important here.
Accutane (Prescription Medication)
It is a powerful pill suitable for those with severe scarring or those with acne that showed no improvement after using other medications. Just keep in mind, however, that this treatment is not always prescribed by doctors. This is especially for acne in pregnant women since the medication may harm the baby’s development. It also has an effect on the blood cell count, which is why patients prescribed with Accutane needs to undergo blood testing frequently.
Antibiotics (Prescription Medication)
Antibiotics are anti-acne products for teenagers with swollen or red acne, or to those who did not experience improvements in using other medications. It works by killing bacteria that contribute to the increase of whiteheads. For this medication to take effect, your child only needs to follow the doctor’s instructions. Also, they need to take the prescription with lots of water. Applying sunscreen when going outside is recommended as well since there are certain antibiotics that increase the skin’s sensitivity once exposed to the sun.
How to Get Rid Of Teenage Acne
No matter what acne remedy your child uses, it can only guarantee success if he or she uses it consistently. Have your child set an alarm so he/she won’t forget when it is time to take or apply the treatment. Or, you can also help by reminding him when it is time to do so.
It is an important key they should practice once the best treatment is found. Not sure if you have?
There is one fundamental factor you can use to find that product. The key is to check the ingredient list in every treatment. You need to look for two things – benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. Benzoyl peroxide is a strong ingredient, which works by killing bacteria present in skin pores. These bacteria are the ones that cause the irritation and inflammation. Salicylic acid, on the other hand, helps clear away skin that collected on skin pores and clogged the hair follicles.
Acne Products for Teenage Guys
The most common acne in young adult boys is acne vulgaris. It is maily caused by increase in hormone level stimulating the sebaceous glands. Such a type of acne is usually found on the face, chest, neck, back and the arms. The zit in young boys is usually not scarring. The treatment of acne vulgaris comes mainly in the form of pharmacies and supermarkets.
Acne treatment products for teenage boys comes mainly in the form of :
- Natural Products: ex: rose water, magnesia milk, tea tree oil, ginger and lemon juice.
- Topical Products: ex: topical steroids, antibiotics and retinoids or isotretinoin
Also among synthetically made products are :
- Exposed: ‘Exposed’ is good enough for sensitive skin as it is hypoallergenic. It is distributed by Exposed Skin Care Inc. It is a joint production of dermatologists and organic biologists.
- ZenMed Derma Cleanse System: ZenMed Derma Cleanse System improves the skin in three steps as per its designing. In the first step internal toxins are removed using anti-toxin ingredients. The second step follows up with prevention against bacteria buildup thereby reducing inflammation, redness and puffiness. The third steo involves the removal of foriegn debris, bacteria and the particles from the pore and skin surface. It smoothes the skin appreciably and limits further bacteria growth.
- AcneZine System by Revitol: AcneZine is developed by Revitol Corporation. It reduces the number of breakouts, flareups and also free radicals at molecular level by reducing oily skin and attacking bacteria-producing pores.
- Accutane: It is a treatment that is available by prescription. It is very strong medication and is only suitable for those who suffer from severe and persistent acne. This medication is taken internally. There are possible side effects too, including birth defects, dry and cracked lips, and liver dysfunction.
Acne Treatment for Teenage Guys – To Do and Not To Do
The teenaged male acne treatments should be effective and stronger in nature to fight severe acne conditions they often suffer from. The pimple problem in teenaged boys is more severe than that of teenaged girls due to major imbalances of testosterone. As a consequence, you find about 81-95% teenage males fighting stubborn facial and body acne covering back and chest areas. Moreover, teenage guys are reluctant in looking for treatment for their pimples.
What worsens the state of acne affected teen boys is that they do not have the option of wearing makeup for concealing their pimples. They are very conscious that most of the acne-fighting products are targeted for girls, which leaves little option for them. On top of that, they find the process of applying natural pimples facials horrifying and get restless soon.
However, if you can motivate the young boys properly to take their acne problem seriously, they could try a basic skin care regimen at home. They could apply cleansers, toners, cleansing masks and moisturizers regularly to get rid of dirt accumulation on skin that worsens acne. Alternately, you could suggest them to use skin-toned medicated spot treatments to dry up the pimples faster and prevent new pimples from occurring.
- Teen boys must understand that the outbreak of pimples is essentially related with excess oil secretion – a feature typical with all adolescents. Hence, it helps to wash your face with luke-warm water and mild cleansers daily. They should avoid scrubbers directly on their pimples; it could worsen the condition by causing bruises. Instead, a gentle exfoliating agent can be used to keep the facial skin smooth and free from acne.
- Adolescent boys facing severe onslaughts of acne must avoid using alcohol or alcoholic products as toners. It rips apart the upper layer of the skin, making the oil glands pro active and promoting further pimples. No matter how irritating, they should refrain from picking or squeezing the pimples. This could lead to permanent blemishes on the face. They should avoid touching and rubbing their face unnecessarily. An unwanted touch could aggravate the bacterial infection causing pimples.
- It is a wrong conception that over-exposure to sun improves adolescent acne. They must use a non-oily sunscreen product with a SPF 15 against both UVA and UVB rays. Lastly, they must dress carefully to help reduce acne. Hats and headbands are a strict no-no as they can irritate the skin. Wearing shades and light cotton clothes are useful anti-acne habits.
The Best Acne Treatment for Teenage Girls
Acne in teenage girls is a skin condition that occurs to girls at some stage of their teenage. Different types of bumps like whiteheads, blackheads or cysts develop with the occurrence of acne.
Hormonal changes during the period of puberty affect teen girls with acne. Acne that is common among young adult girls is medically known as acne vulgaris. The skin of the face, neck, shoulders, chest and upper back tends to develop this type of acne.
Acne Treatment Options
There are several treatment options for such acne problems. The type of cause and the level of severity determine the mode of treatment. Replace fatty foods with fresh fruits and green vegetables in your diet to nourish the skin with vitamins. Application of herbal lotions or creams rich in vitamins keeps the skin healthy.
Nothing is more effective than home remedies in cases of mild acne. Washing your face two times a day, in the morning and the evening can help by removing accumulation of sebum. Make sure to wash the face after any physical activity. Using mild cleaning soaps or gels to wash your face can help to avoid acne. They do not irritate the skin rather give it a gentle feel.
- If you use a sunscreen or any other makeup lotion, make sure that the application is labeled. The smooth and gentle application does not clog the pores.
- Wash the face properly to remove the layer of makeup from the skin so that the pores cannot be clogged.
- Keep your face covered while using hair gels or sprays to remove contact between the face and the hair.
- During hours of heavy exercise or workout, sebaceous glands produce sebum profusely. Make sure to wash your face and make it oil free after exercising
- You can use creams and lotions containing salicylic acid to deal with acne. Be sure to use them in a limit as they excessively dry out the skin.
- Scrubbing the face with a washcloth while washing it can irritate the skin and worsen the problem.
The Most you can Do as a Parent
Parents play a big role during this stage of their teenagers’ lives. One that can affect their confidence level is the inability to take care of the issue right away. To prevent your kids from suffering severe acne breakout, they should know how to deal with it. This is when proper skin care taught at an early age can be of huge help to them.
Practicing basic skin care, including cleansing and exfoliating, will help reduce that oily shine and fight blackhead formation. It will prevent blemishes and prevent acne from getting worse. This is a major help in preventing scarring. An over-the-counter acne cleanser should also be part of their basic skin care routines.
Keeping the pores clear is also an important part of the skincare routine. If you have a teenage girl, make certain that her cosmetics, sunscreens and lotions are oil-free. As for your teen-aged guys, advise them to keep their gel or hair product usage to a minimum. Such products tend to be oily which may only lead to irritation. If they cannot avoid these products, just ensure that they get noncomedogenic ones.
So, these are the some options of best acne treatment products for teens that work. However, that’s just one part of the problem you have to deal with concerning your child and his problem. As a parent, it is normal for you to feel afraid when you bring up this issue. However, to help them and prevent the issue from getting worse, you need to take the first step. Don’t wait for your child to ask help from you.