If you’re searching for the best benzoyl peroxide for acne treatment..In this post, we have listed Top 6 Benzoyl Peroxide Products that are proven to work to cure your pimples permanently..
What is Benzoyl Peroxide?
Benzoyl Peroxide(BPO) is one of most very powerful ingredients used in acne treatment products. The concentrations are at 2.5%, 5% and 10%.
Top 6 Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatments
Here are top 6 BPO products which are recommended by dermatologists :
Exposed Skin Care Rating
|Overall Rating||[usr 5.5]|
|How Fast Does It Work?||[usr 5.5]|
|Ease of Use||[usr 4.5]|
|Ingredients||What You Get|
Exposed Skin Care Review
The exposed treatment uses a proprietary combinational approach for curing acne. The process for curing acne has three steps:
- The first step uses the cleanser, which works by cleaning your skin and unclogging the pores. It also gets rid of the dead skin cells and dust particles. With clear pores and dead skin cells removed, other treatment components can penetrate the pores easily.
- The second step uses the clearing tonic, which is basically meant to heal and soothe your skin preparing it for the next step. The clearing tonic also gets rid of blackheads and whiteheads.
- The third step uses the serum, which kills the acne causing bacteria and thus preventing acne from spreading. The serum is a special formulation and has been proven to be very effective for getting rid of pimples and acne.
How Effective is The Exposed Skin Care?
Based on feedback and reviews across several sites and forums, Exposed appears to be the leading acne product. Although no product works for everyone, however amongst all acne-fighting products, Exposed appears to be the number #1 product with a very high success rate.
- Uses a powerful combinational approach to cure acne and hence highly effective.
- Some people have seen results in a few days itself.
- It attacks the bacteria causing acne at its roots.
- It does not irritate the skin and does not have any side effects.
- Exposed gives a 1-year money back guarantee(The best in the industry!).
- It may not work for everyone.
- It has to be ordered online and will take couple of days for delivery.
|Overall Rating||[usr 4]|
|How Fast Does It Work?||[usr 4]|
|Ease of Use||[usr 4.5]|
|Acne Fighting Ingredients||What You Get|
Proactiv Solution has been around for many years now and many of the proactiv reviews that we have come across have been positive. It is a quality acne fighting system that delivers results to many of the people who choose to use it.
Their infomercials and use of celebrities have led to strong sales numbers. In our surveys, ProActiv scored 86% for customer satisfaction. This isn’t as high as other acne treatments we reviewed, such as Exposed or Clearpores, but it is still a strong rating.
The company offers a 60 day money-back guarantee. If you feel the product is not working for you, it can returned without any questions.
Although ProActiv didn’t reach the top of our list, we did feel it was worth adding to our recommended list as many people have had great results and the company offers a money-back guarantee so there is no risk in trying the product.
Check out their website – you can read some pretty amazing “success stories”. Although ProActiv might not be the best product we reviewed, it is definitely worth having a look at.
#3 – Acne.Org Treatment 8 oz. (BPO – 2.5%)
- Light and easy to apply the formula
- Contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide
- pH-balanced, Pharmaceutical grade, dye-free and fragrance-free
- Product texture is consistent; it won’t clump when use with moisturizers nor will it turn white when you perspire
- Safe and Effective
This Acne. Org Acne Treatment is proven safe and effective and comes in a double-sized generous 8 oz. package. The product is gel-based and clear that spreads out quickly and evenly on your skin.
You can use it as a primer because it will not clump up with your favorite moisturizer nor will it turn white like other treatment creams when you sweat. The 2.5% BPO content of this gel-based treatment is just enough to help remove blemishes and prevent pimples without irritation.
Many experts agree that this content is just enough for a sustainable regimen and does not cause harsh effects on the skin. It is gentle, so it will not aggravate acne eruptions because it is mild and gentle. Acne.Org Treatment 8 oz. is pharmaceutical grade and pass through the strictest quality test.
You will not feel any grittiness in the product when you apply it to your skin. Unlike other products, this gel will produce microparticles of benzoyl peroxide that penetrates the skin entirely for a more favorable result.
#4 – 2.5% BPO Dr. Song Acne Gel Treatment Lotion (8 oz)
- Contain minimal ingredients
- Gel-based and easy to spread
- No parabens and fragrance
- Contains 2.5% Benzol Peroxide
- Made with pharmaceutical-grade ingredients
- Comes in a large-sized, 8 oz. tube
Unlike other treatment products for acne, Dr. Song’s 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Gel Treatment has the most basic ingredients. This formulation with only a handful of ingredients is the most effective because it prevents breakouts and irritation caused by other components in the process.
It contains just the right amount of BPO to clear the blemishes and prevent any future breakouts and helps in keeping the skin clear. The BPO content is medical-grade and free from fragrance, parabens and other irritants. Altogether this makes this product safe and intended for use by people who have highly reactive or sensitive skin.
This product has been proven effective to remove pimples and prevent them from coming back fast with the irritation. The small number of ingredients is made not to cause discomfort and further irritate the skin. It is highly recommended for people with extremely sensitive complexion.
#5 – BPT3.1-2.2. fl. oz Acne Treatment 3% BPO and Tea Tree Oil by Create Cosmetics
- Contains organic plant-based ingredients
- No parabens, fragrance-free, and pH-Balanced
- With 3% Benzoyl Peroxide content
- Tea Tree Oil Ingredient act as an anti-bacterial
This anti-acne product, BPT3.1-2.2. fl. oz Acne Treatment 3% BPO and Tea Tree Oil by Create Cosmetics is a moisturizer that prevents breakouts and other skin blemishes while keeping your skin soft and hydrated. It has a lightweight formulation that is easy to apply, absorbs quickly and leaves no residue on the skin.
The non-comedogenic oil content helps the skin absorb the active ingredients while preventing it from drying out. Since acne eruption has inflammations, the tea tree oil helps as an active anti-inflammatory ingredient while the 3% benzoyl peroxide fights acne and prevent them from coming back.
The BPO content at 3% is just the right amount and the combination of tea tree oil, this oil-based form is better and more effective than any other water-based BPO formulas. It is safe and effective even for sensitive skin as it contains a gentle moisturizer that acts as an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial while having an astringent effect.
#6 – Neutrogena Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne Cleanser – The #1 Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash
In the past, if I got a pimple, the first thing I would do is look for the strongest possible concentration of BP in a product — because the more you put on the faster it works, right?! Wrong!!
Before I give you my favorite face washes with benzoyl peroxide, I just want to point out that BP isn’t necessarily the best choice for everyone. If you have very dry and sensitive skin (like myself) you don’t want to use a product that has a high concentration of BP, as it will make your skin even worse. Instead, use a lower concentration (like 0.5 – 2%) for the best results. The best thing to do is test out a few products and see how much your skin can handle – if it can’t handle the stronger concentrations, drop down to a lower concentration.
Anyway, my favorite facial cleanser with BP is Neutrogena Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne Cleanser.
- Contains 10% Benzoyl peroxide
- Clinically proven to reduce acne size and redness in just one day
- Continuous use will help you get brighter and healthier skin
- Can be used even without prescription
This Neutrogena Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne Cleanser promises excellent results even with just one day of use. It contains a maximum strength formulation with 10% benzoyl peroxide, a recommended medication by dermatologists to fight pimples.
It is mild and safe to use even without a doctor’s prescription. Recommended use for this product is daily, and with continued use, you will see the difference in just a few days. It will reveal a brighter, fresher and healthier skin free from blemishes. It is a good defense against acne and can reduce the swelling and redness in one day.
The 10 % BPO content of Neutrogena Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne Cleanser is a maximum strength formula to attack the pimple-causing bacteria on the most stubborn pimple. This product is highly recommended for people with moderate to severe acne problems.
It can quickly dissolve the pore-clogging oil and dirt that causes acne when you use them. The cleanser removes the surface oil without over-drying the skin to reveal a brighter complexion.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
How Does Benzoyl Peroxide Work?
There are three ways that Benzoyl Peroxide helps reduce the number of pimples that occur:
- First, it works as a skin peeling agent that means that more dead skin cells are removed and your skin increases its production (higher skin turnover). This in turn stops blockages and maintains cleaner pores.
- Second, once these pores are cleaner and less blocked, the acne cream or gel can than get further into the skin and kill more bacteria that cause infection and inflammatory acne.
- And last but not least, it helps to remove excess Sebum in the skin that is the main cause of acne.
Concentrations of BP in Acne Treatments
The concentration levels are typically 2.5%, 5% and 10% so you would assume that the most effective method would be to go for the cream or gel that contains the most, right? Well, actually, in most cases the difference in effectiveness between the three concentrations was small and with a higher percentage came an increased chance of the negative effects.
So with this information I would recommend trying a smaller concentration first so that the skin can develop a resistance to it and than increase to 5% and after a while to 10%. If you only have Mild Acne than 2.5% should be enough to control the symptoms (see the Do I Have Acne? page for more information)
Benzoyl peroxide Side Effects
In many cases BP irritates your skin by excessive drying it and triggering flaking. According to a study done in 1977, 76% of people experienced “contact sensitization” (in other words irritation of the skin after the application of a cream or gel) when tested with 5-10% concentration.
In more uncommon cases, BP usage can cause a burning sensation or redness. This irritation can be treated with moisturizers or avoided by starting off with a 2.5% concentration until you are happy that your skin is not overly sensitive to BP.
Face Wash With Benzoyl Peroxide
Much like the similar glycolic acid products, through regular use these products can be effectively harnessed as an effective acne fighting solution because their key ingredients utilise what are known as keratolytic agents (just a fancy way of saying skin softeners).
So let’s take a look at just how this acne medication works to help create healthy younger looking skin…
How does It Work?
BP cleansers are so effective at ridding us of skin impurities because the active ingredient acts as a keratolytic agent which induces mild antibacterial actions deep within our skin cells. But what are keratolytic agents?
A keratolytic agent while sounding fairly complicated is actually quite a simplistic process.
Generally any ingredient contain keratolytic properties if it acts to soften and loosen the outermost dead skin cells on our body (epidermis), and help shed these cells to be replaced by newer reinvigorated and refreshed skin cells.
But lets back up just a short ways…before we can really understand how BP works to help eliminate acne we have to understand how acne is formed
How is Acne Formed?
Now our bodies are continuously replacing old and damaged skin cells with new ones on a very regular basis.
Once a blackhead is formed it is only a matter of time before the normally harmless bacteria that normally reside in the hair follicle multiply and become a problem.
So How does It Help Remove Blackheads, Pimples and Skin Conditions?
A BP wash helps to decrease the likelihood and effect of pimples and black heads in two major ways…
- Firstly because it contains the keratolytic agent that helps promote the removal and regeneration of new skin cells you are immediately reducing the threat of dead skin cell build up and increased bacterial activity within the deep hair follicles.
- Secondly it actually fights off any increases in bacteria found within the hair follicles. This in turn reduces the threat of the body triggering an inflammatory response which generates the white blood cells and leads to pimples
What are the Benefits of Using a Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash?
- It actually kills the bacteria responsible for causing acne
- Acne does not become resistant to the benefits and properties of benzoyl peroxide
- BP can can boost the effectiveness of other medications used in conjunction with it to treat skin conditions
- It is available in handy washes and bars that can be used to replace you pre-existing soap
How to Use BPO Based Products in your own Skin Care Regime
If you decide to use a BP face cleaner or any similar products to complete your existing skin care regime you should follow closely the instructions found on the product.
However the following is a rough guide of how most BP washes can be used to achieve reductions in the severity and break out of acne and other mild skin related problems.
7 Steps to Use BP Wash
- Wash your face with a facial cleanser making sure to remove all oils, dirts and other contaminants
- Dry your face with a clean towel ensuring not to touch your skin with any dirty nails or other contaminating objects.
- (Optional): Apply a skin toner to your skin to help unclog pores and revitalise your skin cells.
- Prior to going to bed for the night, apply to your face, forehead, cheeks, nose and chin a small amount of your chosen wash. If you have any overly troublesome acne areas (for example your T-zone) apply a little extra peroxide wash to these places.
- When you wake up in the morning ensure that you remove the wash with a facial cleanser and remove with a splash of lukewarm water.
- Apply a moisturiser to your skin, this will help ensure that your skin does not overly dry out due to the use of the peroxide wash.
- Using these treatments will increase your sensitivity to the sun and other elements. Ensure that you plan adequately for your daily activities by including sun screen and other SPF protectors that you may need.
Precautions when Using BP to Treat Acne and Skin Conditions
However BP washes and treatment are not for everybody! We recommend consulting your local physician before trying any new products to ensure that it is safe to use in your own personal circumstances.
More specifically BP washes should not be used in the following circumstances:
- If your skin becomes excessively irritated, red or peeled please consult a skin care professional
- In the case of being pregnant or breastfeeding
- In the use of young children. If your young child has any skin problems take them to a qualified skin care professional for assessment
How to Choose the Best BP Cleanser for Your Skin…
BP washes fall in the category of a short term beautification strategy. These types of skin care products should be used everyday along with a balanced complement of other skin care product to be truly effective as part of your own skin care regime.
You may also want to check out our extensive articles on glycolic acid and related glycolic acid products that can be used to complement your existing skin care regime.
Key Tips When Using a BP-Based Acne Regime
Is there an acne regime you should be following? I’ve had the problems of trying a variety of acne products, from medicated washes to various lotions and gels. I was also afraid that I was going to need some prescribed medication, which could lead to nasty side effects.
Without doubt, I believe you need to get into a routine and stick with it. Frankly there will be a lot of medications you may have lying around that simply don’t work or at least won’t work for you. Forget them.
Don’t worry about what money you may have spent on them. You need to ensure that you’re in the position of trying something that will give you success in your acne program, not something that simply uses up old item lying around.
5 Tips to Use BP Acne Treatment
- Try and find a good, gentle gel – it may (preferably) be natural-based gel or something with around 2.5% BP content. When you start using a good gel you should start seeing some good results but bear in mind that this does not mean that you’ve completed your regime and can go ‘acne-free’. What happens is the acne (if you’re using BP gel) will dry out your acne so you need to keep using it.
- Also, you need to let your skin get used to using the gel, whatever the content may be. Take things slowly and get used to it. Don’t rush things and alter any BP if you think the skin is becoming irritated by using it. Remember that your aim is to rid yourself of acne and while you want this done as quickly as possible you still have to be sure that you’re not creating problems for your skin in the process.
- Try not to constantly check yourself in the mirror. If you have breakouts during your treatment then you must maintain what you’re doing rather than becoming agitated and stepping up the program.
- You need to know too that your skin’s not going to look great the moment you start. There may well be (and probably will be) active acne and quite possibly peeling and redness. Your skin will also be more dry and the likelihood is that it will get worse before it gets better.
- However you can use moisturizers and cleansers to help reduce the skin problems you may be experiencing and I recommend a number of natural cleansers and moisturizers on the site. And you need to make sure that you’re not using other acne treatments if you’re using BP. These can make your skin problems considerably worse, particularly as BP will deactivate various topical products so you must not use them at the same time.
If you want any acne face wash for adults then my recommendation is always to try something natural, but certainly try something that is unmedicated if you’re on a BP-based regime, like Dan Kern’s regime, for instance.
You need to stick with your plan. So do it. And keep motivated!