*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Read my disclosure for more info.
Chest acne can be an embarrassing condition for teens and adults alike. There are various reasons a person will suffer from acne in this area of the body.
- One is a change in hormone levels which can cause your skin pores to become clogged with the excess oil that is being produced. Another possibility is if you use a new type of laundry detergent that you are allergic to. When the skin becomes irradiated by the new detergent, a breakout can occur.
- Weather can also play a large factor for this form of acne. In very hot weather your skin produces more sweat, which can clog the pores when trapped against the skin with tight clothing. Cold weather can also cause this condition to flare up due to the house being dry and overheated.
- Too many layers of tight fitting clothing trap oil and dead skin cells making the chest prone to breakouts.
While hygiene and external factors can play a big role in acne on chest, sometimes persons just might be predisposed to have acne there. Nearly every teen goes through a phase of acne troubles, and it just might be that the chest is one of the areas it happens for you.
Just realize that having chest pimple does not necessarily mean you are not taking proper care of your hygiene. Many people who have acne on other places besides their face think they just need to wash better. This can lead to scrubbing extra hard, and more often, which can actually irritate the skin and make matters worse.
Tips to Get Rid of Acne On Your Chest
That being said, there are some simple things you can do to get rid of acne on.
- First you will want to make sure you keep your chest area clean and use good hygiene procedures. Using an antibacterial soap can help, as it will keep bacteria at a minimum. Washing the area is always good, but as mentioned earlier, be careful not to over-wash your skin. This will cause your body to produce even more oil secretions.
- Never try to rid yourself of acne by squeezing the area or popping the pimples. This will only cause it to become more inflamed and may even cause an infection, which will worsen symptoms. When you pop a pimple you are spreading the bacteria all over the area, which may make the acne much more serious.
- Many professionals believe that a solution containing peroxide can be beneficial in chest acne treatment. It helps keeps down the bacteria count in your skin.
There are several home remedies for pimples on chest that are said to be useful in treating mild cases and some of the ingredients may be readily available from your kitchen cabinets or refrigerator.
One of these remedies is to combine equal amounts of lemon juice and rose water. Lemon juice is acidic which may help kill bacteria on your skin. Combining it with rose water helps reduce the drying out effect it may have on your skin. Most home remedy enthusiasts say to use this mixture twice a day by applying it to your chest with a soft cloth. Results are said to be noticeable within a month.
Diet also plays a huge role in cases of acne on chest. While it is a myth that eating certain foods will cause acne breakouts, the way you treat your body does have a significant effect. If your body is not getting the proper nutrition, because you are always eating unhealthy foods, it will not be able to properly do its job of fighting off the acne naturally.
You also need to drink plenty of water to keep your body in working order. Water helps move toxins out of your body, so if you do not drink enough they are often left to cause pimples later down the road.
A good food choice is carrot juice or cucumber juice. It is unknown as to why these two juices can help chest acne treatment, but users state that they notice results fairly quickly by drinking two eight ounce glasses per day.
Yogurt is a god choice too as it contains a natural pro-biotic. It will help keep bacteria levels in your body in check. It can also be mixed with a small amount of oatmeal and placed on your chest topically like a paste. After applying, leave it on for about 15 minutes, then rinse off with cool clean water.
Over The Counter Acne Treatment
When using an over the counter treatment, it is wise to start with the less harsh products first. Depending on the severity of the condition, a very light treatment might do the trick. If these products do not work, then it is time to go see the dermatologist.
He can prescribe you some of the “heavy hitting” acne medicines that should only be used as a last resort. These drugs certainly do the job, but they are often harsh and leave your skin incredibly irritable. This can be particularly uncomfortable with chest pimples, as you will almost always have a shirt rubbing against it.
Read: How to Treat Pimples on Nose and Lip