*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Read my disclosure for more info.
Before you can determine which face wash is best for your skin, you need to know what type of skin you have. Once you know what type of skin you have, you will then be able to address it with the most beneficial products to meet your skin’s requirements.
The five main categories of skin types include;
- sensitive skin
- oily skin
- dry skin
- normal skin
- combination skin
How do I determine which type of skin I have?
It’s simple! The type of skin you have is determined by the amount of oil your skin produces. In order to determine your skin type, wash your face and pat dry. Using pieces of tissue paper suitable for lens cleaning purposes or even rice paper, press the paper onto different areas of your face. If the paper sticks and becomes translucent, you have oily skin.
If the paper does not stick to any areas of your face then you have dry skin. If however, the paper sticks to your forehead, chin and nose, (the areas which make up your t-zone) and doesn’t stick to the other areas, it means that you have combination skin.
Once you determine the type of skin you have, you will then be able to find a daily skin cleanser that will meet your skin’s requirements. You must cleanse your face daily to remove impurities such as oil, dirt and bacteria. It is also very important to cleanse your face daily to maintain optimally healthy skin.
There are several facial cleansing products available on the market these days. However, the main ingredients that work for one person may not work as well for the next person. The most common way to cleanse the face are by using designated facial cleansers.
Of course there are a wide variety of facial cleansers available which sometimes makes it difficult to decide which one is the best one for you. First of all, there are the facial cleansing bars, unfortunately there are many reasons why bar soaps are generally not recommended for the neck up, one of them being that they could dry out your skin, causing it to become irritated and itchy.
Now, on to the cleansing creams, these are typically best for those with dry skin. Then comes the exfoliating scrubs, while exfoliation will lead to smoother skin, it actually removes layers of skin which then leads to wrinkles at an earlier age than if you haven’t used and exfoliating scrub.
Scrubbing can also lead to irritated skin, redness and even tiny wounds and scarring on the face. Now let’s look at the skin cleansing tools. These tools were invented to achieve maximum face cleansing results , they are intended for a deeper cleaner feeling than just cleansers alone.
There are many facial cleansing tools available and your dermatologist can help you decide which one is the best one for you to include in your face cleansing ritual. One of the most widely used face cleansing tools, are the facial cleansing cloths.
Face Cleansing Cloth
Face cleansing cloths are disposable, open-cloths or sponge-like items which release a foaming facial cleanser upon becoming wet. They are often safer to use if you need to wash your face frequently because of the extra emollients and humectants in these cloths which help protect against damage and also helps to smooth your skin.
The loose, open cloths are better recommended if you have sensitive skin. Compact, sponge-like cloths are recommended if you have oily skin. You should never use scalding hot or icy cold water to wash your face, doing so could result in broken capillaries. Lukewarm water will do just fine. Also, never go to bed with make-up on doing so will result in clogged pores.
Choosing The Right Face Wash – What To Look for
Like many other people around the world, you may have at some point bought a facial wash that does nothing but irritate your skin. This is something that can be very frustrating, especially if it keeps happening. The skin on our faces is some of the most delicate skin on our bodies.
Most face cleansers are not meant for cleaning our faces. Most of them would be better off being bathroom cleaners. There are loads of harsh chemicals in many of the facial cleansing products out there. If you have been looking for the right facial cleanser and keep getting disappointed, there are some things you can look for to find the right cleanser.
Basically, facial wash is the foundation of any skin care regimen. Cleansers are made to remove dirt, free radicals and pollutants from our skin. The best face washes will make the skin on the face smoother, softer and more radiant. Cleansers that are made for all skin types are some of the best ones to choose.
5 Things to Look for
- A high quality face cleanser will not contain fragrances, detergents, Parabens or other harmful chemicals because these ingredients will dry out the skin and damage. Not to mention, most of the harsh chemicals that are used in most face cleansers are linked to cancer or other adverse health effects. These harsh chemicals will irritate and harm your sensitive facial skin.
- High quality face washes will also contain hydrating emollients. These ingredients will moisturize and hydrate your skin, but not leave it feeling greasy. Antioxidants should be present in high quality cleansers to counter the harm done by free radicals. Antioxidants will also promote your skin being able to fight free radicals on its own.
- High quality cleansers should also contain different kinds of botanical extracts and other soothing agents. These ingredients will heal the skin but will not dry it out.
- No matter what type of skin you have, choosing the right cleanser can be confusing and frustrating. This is why it is wise to choose a cleanser that is made for all skin types. Most of the highest quality facial washes will be great to use on any skin type. Whether you have dry skin, oily skin or a combination of the two, you should be looking for high quality cleansers with high quality natural ingredients.
- Any facial cleansers that will be good for all skin types will include some common ingredients. Therefore, you should look for ingredients like tangerine oil, olive leaf extract, chamomile, Avocado oil, Jojoba oil, Shea Butter, Manuka Honey, Allantoin, Vitamin E or others. Cleansers that contain any combination of these ingredients are usually the best that you can find.
As long as there are no harsh chemical ingredients along with them, the cleanser that contains any of these ingredients is probably a good one for any skin type. If you have super sensitive skin, these ingredients should be fine for you to use as well. Unless you have an allergy to any of these ingredients, they should be able to boost the health of your skin.